Tuesday 26 August 2008

Cycling To Work


Since November 2006, I have started to cycle the three miles to work. This move happened not as a conversion to eco-warrior status but because the other half dropped her hours at the job that gave her a company car. Walking would take too long (45 minutes) and despite the good local bus services, the bus would not be much quicker. As it is the bike ride only takes about ten minutes longer each way than the car journey did.
The wonderful people of the local bike shop have been enormously helpful in offering advice and support in what has turned out to be a new enthusiasm. Apart from the bike (ridgeback meteor - hybrid - pictured) I have found the other bits and pieces very helpful.
  • Altura rainproof trousers (night vision ones) which are rolled up and in the bottom of the...
  • Altura pannier
  • Altura Jacket yellow - it just goes over my shirt and tie (I have a jacket hanging up at work) - I don't need a shower after getting to work (especially not wearing a rucksack)
  • Flashing Lights
  • D-Lock and cable
  • Bottle cage and bottle - it is surprising how thirsty you get
  • Pump and inner tube and tyre levers (not needed for punctures yet but a good security blanket)
  • Bike stands (two - one at home the other for work)

5 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

Cycling is good for the arse, I believe.

The Gentleman Loser said...

How very astute.

Unknown said...

You might want to upgrade to an electric bike one day! I have one. It is a joy, especially when one has to carry heavy books home to mark!

Anonymous said...

I would like to apologise for my aggressive behavior and unforgivable emotional response to your comment on Cranmer's blog. I can see you are a decent chap and doing good work in the community. I, unfortunately, am of inferior education, but no less determined to speak out. Politics and religion eh!

The Gentleman Loser said...

@mckenzie Thanks for that but please be assured that no offence was taken. You're very welcome by the way!